Sunday, February 7, 2016

3

Lately I've been thinking a lot about my 3 boys. They are growing into such incredible young men. All 3 of them work so hard to be the best they can be.  Their grades are good, their sports are good, who they are is good.  I'm so proud that they know who they are and focus on being true to themselves. It takes most people well into adulthood to learn that.

Chris has such a kind and gentle heart.  I love that he can think things through, far better than most his age.  He knows what he wants in life and works his hardest to achieve that. Over the past couple years he's learned some valuable lessons, worked through and rose above. He amazes me.

Jadan is Mr. Sarcasm, a trait I'm not so sure if I'm happy to pass down.  He is the one that can see both sides usually. Facts speak volumes to him, and he sees things as they are. He doesn't sugar-coat much.  Again, it's a strength and a weakness we both share. He is a strategist and planner. Check, check, check.

Ethan is my sweet baby.  He is filled with so much love and sense of adventure.  He is the epitome of "I wish I could bottle that energy".  So many emotions and movements in one little body. He is work, but the joy of him outweighs that tenfold.  Light shines from him. I don't think it's possible  to look at him without smiling.

Ever since they were little I have tried my hardest to teach them to think for themselves. I'm not perfect, I don't have all the answers, and I don't ever want them to simply believe something because I said it's true. I love to have full conversations and discussions with them. If they ask me a question I've always tended to throw it back to them with a "Well, what do you think the answer is?" They would respond, I'd share my thoughts or what I knew about it, and we would talk. This helped them to learn that they can think, that most answers are right inside them, that they have the power to solve problems successfully on their own.

This means I may disagree with them sometimes, but that's okay. They are allowed to ask why, they are allowed to share some details with me that may change my mind. I respect them enough to know that just because I want or know something, doesn't mean they do or should. When I show them respect, I am teaching them what respect is and they respect me in return. Respect can't be expected when it isn't given.

I also realized a long time ago, that if you punish a child for telling the truth you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of lies with them. When you are open and honest; punishment shouldn't be necessary, because cause and effect is real. There are natural consequences for every action. I like to let them play out. That's the real world.

These boys know what unconditional love is. They know that no matter what I will be there. I know that's why they are the great kids they are today. They have been raised in a way that truth is one of the most important attributes. They live that. As different as they each are, all 3 are filled with integrity and know right from wrong. Actions, not just words make them stand out.

I am so proud of who they are and the glimpses I catch of who they are going to be as grown men. Changing every day, yet sure of who they are inside. That's always been my goal, when you know who you are inside and are confident in that, you can't help but share that with the world. I wish I was more like them when I was their ages. My loves, my joys, my treasures. Continue to be all you are meant to be. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment