Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Raising Husbands

(*No, not all men are this way and Yes, I know some men are not always this way, just sometimes - but as a general rule of thumb if you're male you should NOT ever be this way.*)

From this day forward I am not raising sons.  I am raising future husbands and dads.  When I think of the problems that I have been having in my marriage I realize that there are things that have always been wrong.  Why is it okay that the woman is supposed to be the one that grows up and becomes responsible, while the man consistently wants to be treated as an adult, yet act as a child?  Sorry - just because you worked all day does not mean I did not.  Why are you done, but my shifts are 24 hours?  Bullshit!  A responsible man should not just mean a paycheck. 

I want to scream at the top of my lungs - HELLO BONEHEAD!  Yeah, yes YOU, you made those dishes... WASH them, or at least rinse them out!  Um - Yeah, YOU again, I think you finished the milk and that soda there... is there a reason the empties are still sitting on the counter?  You do know where the empties go - You're not a guest here... Oh, tomorrow is trash day?  No I'm not reminding you - it's the ONE thing you do... and those kids fighting there, the ones that are supposed to be in bed... Me thinks they might be your children... pretending they're not there until I take care of it is NOT the right thing to do...  Oh, and one more thing - our youngest is only 8, NO he can NOT take care of himself while we just go out and do whatever we want, whenever we want - separately .  Not okay.

So anyways, I decided that this is not the way my sons will ever treat their wives.  They will understand it's a partnership, a shared quest.  They will learn that the little things matter the most and that although women can do anything a REAL man wouldn't let her!  I will make sure they understand women think differently and need different things than men, but that's okay - it doesn't make us crazy.  Opening doors and being a gentleman shouldn't be a thing of the past.  Yes, women are strong and can do what needs to be done - but men are supposed to be there to take care of us.  To want to take care of us.  We're supposed to be the ying and the yang, the black and white, peanut butter and jelly, macaroni and cheese... yadda, yadda, yadda.

So help me God, they will be good husbands.  They will know that family comes first, that everything else is second.  That they are important, but true love is giving of yourself and desiring so much more for those you love than yourself.  Selfishness and dishonesty are banned from our house.  I will teach them with scenarios and open communication and plain ol' example!  When I look into their eyes I know I already gave them a good start - they will be men of integrity, true knights in shinning armor (no pansy princes here!)

1 comment:

  1. Damn girl...I couldn't have said it better myself! wish there was a LOVE button cause I'd be clicking on it! Good for you. You're boys will be good husbands and they will be gentlemen, they will be MEN.

    ReplyDelete